Sunday 10 January 2016

For the Love of the Game

I've played basketball since I was 5. It's been a part of my life literally since I was born; my dad used to coach girls high school basketball when I was little. Ive dreamed of being on the Varsity team for as long as I can remember, and now I'm "living the dream." Most of my metaphors are based on this beautiful game, could you expect anything different? 

Not only does my family fuel my passion for the game, but my entire community plays a part in it. It's literally a way of life in Southern Alberta, it brings us together. We won a tournament (more later) yesterday, and everyone at church knew and totally congratulated me on the win, including the Stake President, President Lowe. When there's a home game, the gym is filled with people from Cardston. There's nothing like playing in front of all those people. 

It reminds me of the little girl who fell in love with the game and never looked back. The one who pushed through uncomfort, who has been hurt and still played. That little girl has grown up, and it's been fun to be in all the stages of my basketball career, and to be a part of the amazing teams I've been blessed to be on. Every coach I've played for has brought out a different element of my game, and I will be forever grateful for that. 

Okay, so back to our tournament yesterday. We haven't been clicking as a team, it's taken us a while. As soon as this tournament started, we knew it was going to be different. We played together, and we had so much fun. One of my best friends, Bailey Nelson, even lost her shoe and kept playing. She drained a 3 shoeless. Sometimes, we have to push through hard times and wait until it clicks. But when it clicks, it's beautiful. 

The love of the game has pushed me, and I'm grateful for the chance I have to play this game! This grand adventure has become one of my very favourites in my life so far. 


No comments:

Post a Comment