Sunday 30 October 2016

Broken Crayons Still Color

I'm going to share something a little bit personal with you today.

Are you ready?

Here it is:

Broken crayons still color.

Novel, right?

Just kidding, I'm sure you've heard that phrase, or read it somewhere multiple times. In fact, if you're like me, you've probably been exposed to it so many times, it lost its punch a while ago. My goal today is to revive it, because it is so unbelievably valuable to anyone who has been, or currently is, broken.

Broken. Maybe you are literally physically broken, in which case, I am sorry, and I hope you have a speedy recovery. Maybe, though, you are mentally, or emotionally, or spiritually broken, and this is who I feel this will apply to more.

I have felt broken a few times in my life. I can tell you from experience, it is not a pleasant journey, but it can be one filled with joy. There are times you feel there is no way you could ever be whole again, there is no one who still loves you, and I testify to you that is false. NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS IN YOUR LIFE, GOD STILL LOVES YOU. HE STILL KNOWS YOU, HE STILL CARES ABOUT YOU, AND HE WILL NOT FORSAKE YOU!

(No, my caps lock did not get stuck, I needed to use my online outdoor voice to make my message clear!)

While Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ do not approve of sins, they do allow us opportunities to repent, and not only do we have that chance given to us, they will also take our broken hearts, and broken minds, and broken souls, and heal them. I do not mean that any mental disorders will immediately be resolved because we ask them to do that, but They will give us the strength to handle them. You see, we do not need to pay for our own sins, because Christ already did. That's why He suffered and died for us! As we turn to the Lord with our entire heart to help us overcome our adversities, and to allow Him to heal us, we will be filled with peace, and understanding. I promise.

As I was sitting in church today, I felt my ankle throbbing from an injury two years ago. I sprained it in basketball, and although I can still do everything I want to, it does bother me occasionally, and I have to wear braces for both basketball, and rodeo. If you ask my family, they say I need them to walk across the field too, or else I will roll it again. Even though it is healed, my ankle is still weak and it hurts and I have to make sure I take care of it. This is not true with the healing power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. It heals us completely. There will be times when we cannot understand the process, and it will be painful, but the pain of it can be swallowed up by the joy found in Christ, and in His Atonement.

Just because you break does not mean you are worthless. You are loved, you are known, and you are worth it. Christ suffered on the cross for you, He already paid the price for you to return to Him.

President Thomas S. Monson said, "Our task is to become our best selves. One of God's greatest gifts to us is the joy of trying again, for no failure ever need be final." How awesome and empowering is that! No failure ever need be final, because a failure is a chance to start again, to become who we are destined to be. I personally do not believe in rock bottom. I feel that if we turn to Christ, He will not let us ever hit such a low point, He will carry our burdens, that they may be lighter, and bearable for us as children of God.

Broken crayons still color. If you feel broken, please don't stop living. Don't stop coloring, even if the broken crayon makes your artwork seem blurry, or dull, or you color outside the lines a little bit. As you push forward, you will see that the crayons don't become how they once were, but they change, and perhaps they become how they were destined to be all along. Before long, you'll look at the big picture and come to love those broken crayons, and the enthralling masterpiece they helped create!

No comments:

Post a Comment