Sunday 10 July 2016

Moroni's Quest 2016

I don't know how to perfectly put into words my experience at Moroni's Quest, but I'm going to do my best. To say it was life changing doesn't explain it. To say it was overwhelming is an understatement. I fear nothing I can say will do it the justice it deserves, but I also believe I need to record my experience here.

So, what is Moroni's Quest? Every youth aged fourteen and up in our stake was invited to attend this amazing event where the stories in the Book of Mormon were reenacted. There was an amazing team of people that had thought of everything, from sound to security to superb meals. When we arrived on Friday morning, we were assigned to a tribe that had eight or nine kids in it, with leaders who have been preparing for a year to teach us.

On the first day, we rode buses to a place by Police Lake, where we started our journey to the promised land, or the campground. We followed Lehi and his family from place to place, and we learned about the stories and experiences of this remarkable family. They literally left everything behind to follow the Lord. This day taught me that sometimes the great things the Lord has in store for us take time, patience, and ultimately, trust in Him and His plan. Sacrifices that we make for Him will lead us down greater roads than we ever could've imagined.

The next day, we covered a vast majority of the Book of Mormon, from things like King Benjamin's address to battles to Samuel the Lamanite telling of the signs of Christ's birth. One of the events that affected me deeply was the story of Abinadi. This man gave His life in order to do what God had asked of Him, adding his name to a long list of martyrs, sealing his work with his life. He trusted God so much that He was willing to give everything he had, and he ultimately gave his life here to preach the truthfulness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Another event that touched me was Mosiah's sons and their desire to serve missions. There was two called missionaries and two returned missionaries that bore their testimonies abut missionary work, and one of the returned missionaries is a girl from my ward. She said, "God loves each one of us and He wants us to love the gospel, each other, and ourselves." Sometimes, I feel like I'm not enough, but I know that in God's eyes, I am definitely enough.

Throughout the day, we would have discussions about what we learned and what our thoughts were with our tribes. We were also given time to write in our journals any thoughts we had about what was happening. At some point on Saturday afternoon, I wrote, "The power of God isn't for a select few of us. The love of God is for every man, woman, and child to ever exist. It's not for those who achieve certain things or love God "this much." It's for all of us, in all of us, ingrained in our spiritual and physical beings. We are always deserving of it."

Every event in the Book of Mormon is meaningful to me, but some of them sunk deeper into my mind and heart in this event than others did. The last one I'll share that happened on Saturday was the two thousand stripling warriors that Helaman lead to battle. They had every young man that had a mother there come to the stage and their moms all came and sang to them. It was an amazing thing to see those boys up there, and it was especially cool to see all of the ones with mission calls standing up there, ready to go and serve God. Today, our young men aren't called to go to battle or anything like that, but they are called to serve missions. They have been taught in their youth, and they will be the Lord's missionaries to bring the world His truth. They have the ability to overcome every obstacle set in front of them with God's help. We all do.

On Sunday morning, we all gathered together and sat in our tribes. The Savior (our stake president) came out into our gathering, and an immediate overwhelming feeling of love covered every person there in attendance. A few kids got up and hugged Him, and then everyone stood up to get in line to hug him. Meanwhile, hugs were shared with everyone. There were no groups, no age differences, no friend circles that mattered there. Everyone was equal.

I know that He lives. I know that He loves me, regardless of my imperfections. He loves me despite of my short comings and faults. He loves me. This is an unchanging truth, I know He knows me and my imperfections and my challenges and my struggles. He knows exactly what we need exactly when we need it. I know that God will carry me when I cannot walk on my own. I know that Christ lives, I know He suffered for my sins so I can repent. Oh, how sweet this sentence is! I know that my Redeemer lives!

I have heard some people state that the gospel of Jesus Christ isn't for them. There are some things that aren't for me, such as drawing, or singing, but I know that the gospel of Jesus Christ is for everyone. I know that the love of God is for everyone, and I know that God forgives all those who are willing to turn to Him with a humble heart.

There were so many amazing experiences in those four days, and I am incredibly grateful that I had the chance to go. I know that the adversary is going to be working hard on the people that were there because he doesn't want us to succeed, but I know as we strive to become more Christlike, we will have the ability to overcome any temptations we have.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is true. I know this with all my heart.



1 comment: